Wednesday, November 23, 2016

I read something in the news a few days back

 about a teenager diagnosed with down’s syndrome 
wanting to go to a high school dance and no one accepting his invitation… 
and then a girl in his school asked him to the dance… 
She was quoted as saying, 
“I don’t see differences.” 
But here’s the thing: she does. 
We all do.
  
Because we’re all different. 
What happened to celebrating our differences? 
I’m not Asian, Indian, or Black. I’m not slim or tall, or athletic 
[and I’m not too proud to admit that ‘gentle’ yoga kicked my butt last week to the point that I didn’t think I could walk down stairs to get some ibuprofen…] 
I’ve never been a party-girl or risk taker; I’m not a rocket scientist … 
I’m a chubby white woman [European American?] who enjoys crafts, good food, 
and an occasional walk or yoga class. 
I struggle with math, love God and try to follow His principles. 
I believe His Word is true. 
I’m NOT perfect, because none of us are. 
And that’s okay. 
 
 It’s okay that you’re not like me. 
And it’s okay that I’m not like you. 
I can still love you and call you friend. 
We need to accept that we are all different – celebrate our differences, if you will – and if being different means you’re ‘called out’ 
in an effort to humiliate for your beliefs then so be it. 
[Although it really saddens me deep inside to see America come to this.] 
That may be freedom of speech, but THAT is not tolerance. 
And it seems funny, odd, sad to me that some of the very people who call [yell, scream] for tolerance seem to be some of the first who don’t offer it when others disagree with them.
Notice that I said SOME, because I refuse to lump people into an us / them categories. 
I’m so thankful that the God I [try my best to] serve is one Who gives us free choice 
and loves us anyway. 
I’m thankful that He is forgiving when I [we] mess up in small or big ways… 
 And in a world where there are so many who throw out ‘absolute’ lines in an effort to confine people into one group or the other 
I really hope and pray that we can just be kind to each other… 
After all, we’re all in this [human] race together. 
“And be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving one another, 
just as God also forgave you in Christ.” 
Ephesians 4:32 HCSB
[All photos from the internets -] 


No comments: