Wednesday, October 26, 2016

I picked up some

pumpkin biscotti at Big Lots! the other day – 
after all, it seems to be my choice for pumpkin flavored things 
[Remember the yummy pumpkin cookie butter?!]
 Anyway – the biscotti was delicious 
[I got the ginger too – also very good.] 
But when I realized I paid $3 for SIX pieces, I decided I needed to make it myself. 
Ha. 
So, taking a break from Christy's deliciouse recipes, 
I wanted to share one of my new favorites with you today --
 
I remembered a former coworker who used to talk about how she and her college-aged daughter made batch after batch during the holidays each year, so I knew it could be done.
 I searched several recipes for pumpkin biscotti [and really, they are much the same] and decided to base mine on this one. [Or one much the same.]
 Ingredients: flour – brown sugar – white sugar – eggs – canned pumpkin – cinnamon – pumpkin pie spice – and vanilla. Also – not shown, a couple of squares of white candy coating.
I made two batches since I wanted to use most of the canned pumpkin – the first batch, I sifted the dry ingredients [½ cup brown sugar + ½ cup white sugar + 2 ½ cup self-rising flour + 1 tsp cinnamon + 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice] and stirred them into the wet ingredients [2 eggs + ½ cup canned pumpkin + 1 teaspoon vanilla.] The second batch, I creamed the sugars and pumpkin first, then dumped everything else in – and, actually, I like that batch better. [I really am a dump-it-all-in kind of baker – ha.]
This dough is VERY soft… After stirring together well, I spooned it out onto parchment paper that was sprayed with non-stick coating. 
Then, with floured hands, I patted it into a rectangle about half the size of my baking sheet. 
Oops, I don’t have a photo of the unbaked dough – but it looks much like the baked photo below – lol.
I baked it for 20 minutes or so in a 350* oven, turning the oven down to 300* when I removed it. 
I let it cool for 15 – 20 minutes, then cut into strips [and cut those in half, as well] before putting back into the 300* oven for another bake of 20 minutes. 
Then I turned the oven off and let it rest in the oven until cooled 
< -- this resulted in a nice, very dry, crunchy biscotti. 
 
Once they were cooled completely I melted the white candy coating in the microwave [30 seconds at a time, until it was smooth] and spread just a bit on the tops of each slice,
and it is perfection [for me, anyway.]
 Here’s a confession – I don’t like pumpkin flavored coffee [not even a little]
but I do love pumpkin and pumpkin spice flavors in baked goods, 
so dipping these little bites of goodness in my coffee is the perfect way to start these fall mornings.
Enjoy!
 

No comments: