Thursday, October 6, 2011

Cooking Light [on-line] Supper Club

Summer Squash and Corn Chowder
Time: 40 minutes

Serve with Tomato Bruschetta: Preheat oven to 425°. Arrange 12 thin baguette slices on a baking sheet; bake at 425° for 6 minutes or until toasted. Rub toasts with cut sides of a halved garlic clove. Combine ½ cup finely chopped tomato, 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil, 1½ teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, and ⅛ teaspoon salt; top toasts evenly with tomato mixture. [Me: Of course I love this!!]

View Recipe: Summer Squash and Corn Chowder
Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
· Calories: 285 - Fat: 9.4g- · Saturated fat: 3.9g- · Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g- · Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g- · Protein: 13.3g- · Carbohydrate: 37.8g- · Fiber: 5.4g- · Cholesterol: 20mg- · Iron: 1.3mg- · Sodium: 605mg- · Calcium: 260mg
Ingredients
· 2 slices applewood-smoked bacon
· 3/4 cup sliced green onions, divided
· 1/4 cup chopped celery
· 1 pound yellow summer squash, chopped
· 1 pound frozen white and yellow baby corn kernels, thawed and divided
· 2 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
· 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· 1/8 teaspoon salt
· 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
Preparation
· 1. Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan. Crumble bacon, and set aside. Add 1/2 cup onions, celery, and squash to drippings in pan; sauté 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
· 2. Reserve 1 cup corn; set aside. Place the remaining corn and 1 cup milk in a blender; process until smooth. Add remaining 1 1/4 cups milk, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to blender; process just until combined. Add pureed mixture and reserved 1 cup corn to pan. Reduce heat to medium; cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/8 teaspoon salt. Ladle about 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with about 1 tablespoon bacon, 1 tablespoon remaining onions, and 1 tablespoon cheese.
Kathryn Conrad, Cooking Light
AUGUST 2010
My take: I made this quickly for a scrapbook gathering last week and since I wasn't able to get to the store until the last minute I couldn't find fresh squash [unbelievable!] and forgot to get celery. So I bought frozen squash and used celery seeds instead. I also substituted [real] bacon bits for the bacon and added a tube of the fried corn [so popular in the south] and some potatoes [frozen french fries cut into cubes since I couldn't find the cubed hash browns I usually use in soups.] I just kind of think chowder calls for some potatoes, don't you? I did cook the veggies in some bacon grease I had on hand. And I also upped the spices a bit since it didn't have long to cook. I also served it with our standard french bread and butter since I didn't have time to make the bruschetta.
The verdict - I could hardly taste the squash and when I did it kind of made me think of squash casserole [which I love] so I might make it again. I think it needed a bit more salt - but others didn't necessarily agree - and the crock pot was half empty before the night was over so that's always a good sign. [Note: I cook my soups on the stove and transfer to crock pots to keep warm.] I didn't like the cheese on it. And I had some the next day and thought it was better [but as a rule - I feel that way about most all soups / stews /chili that I make.]
What do you think? Does this sound like something you'd enjoy?

No comments: