Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Honestly ---

How many vegetables did you eat yesterday? I know we all know that we’re supposed to have 5 -8 servings a day – but, honestly – how many do you eat each day? Go ahead – get a pencil and write a little list … For me? I know I don’t put nearly enough of the nutritious stuff in my body and I’ve set a goal to fuel my body a little better in 2009. I’m trying to add a V-8 Juice and an apple to my lunch each day and to make wise choices as I plan my meals… Yesterday I went to salsaritas [almost as good as qdobas] for lunch and had my favorite nacho plate: chips, black beans [not a veggie,] a double scoop of grilled veggies [onions, yellow squash & zucchini,] black olives, a little guacamole, and of course, salsa. And then for dinner I had a yummy – yummy soup made from a recipe I got out of my newspaper [and credited to: ”The Best Slow & Easy Recipes” by the editors of Cook’s Illustrated Magazine, lest I incur the wrath of Zielske] It has a heavy tomato base even though nary a tomato do you see and also a few carrots thrown in. Reminds me so much of Campbell’s Vegetable Beef Soup. [A childhood favorite of mine.] I love it. Here’s the recipe, and note, I used at least a half cup of barley [bought at a local organic fruit market,] maybe as much as ¾ cup and added a couple of cups of water:

Slow-Cooker Beef & Barley Soup

28 oz. can of diced tomatoes

In a food processor [or with a hand-held blender] pulse with their juice until smooth, about 15 seconds. Set aside.

3 medium yellow onions, minced

¼ cup tomato paste

1 teaspoon thyme

Cook in 2 tabelspoons vegetatble oil until onions are softened and browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in:

½ cup dry red wine

Use a spoon to scrap up any browned bits. Transfer to slow cooker. Add the tomatoes. Add:

2 cups beef broth

2 cups chicken broth

2 carrots, cut into ½ inch pieces

1/3 cup soy sauce

¼ cup pearl barley

Season with salt and pepper and then nestle into other ingredients in the slow- cooker:

2 pounds blade steak, trimmed and cut into half inch pieces

Cover and cook on high for 5 – 7 hours.

Enjoy!

No comments: