Friday, June 29, 2018

We said an earthly goodbye to this

Precious. Precious man this week... 
 
I posted to one of my cousin's that "he's taking a little piece of my childhood with him 
[and if I'm honest. .. a bit of my teenage and adult self too.]
And he will always be remembered as one of the kindest, godliest men I've ever known."
I wish I could take some of this burden from them... 
But I know that Jesus will give them peace, and joy, in these sad days... 
We never lived in the same town so we didn't see them regularly at our 
Sunday gatherings out at Mama M's house - but they must have made the trip pretty often, because  they are all a big part of my memories there! 
One of the earliest being that the uncles always tied strings on the legs of the june bugs we'd catch while running around in the yard... 
But one of my fondest memories of Uncle Elton is when I went to stay in the big city of Huntsville with them [for a week - ?] when I was around eight years old... 
He let me walk into Krispy Kreme with him after church one night -- 
Oh. My. 
I'd never SEEN so many delicious looking donuts in one place! 
And I could choose any one I wanted! 
I have to admit that I think of him almost every time I walk into that Krispy Kreme 
[just down the road from my office now...]
I do think he was a doughnut lover 
[especially when the hot sign was on] 
because he made a few doughnut runs 
when they visited my mama in her assisted living - lol
  So when they were in Huntsville a few months back 
[another uncle was in the hospital here] 
I returned the favor and picked up a dozen to share with him - 
and, okay, the other family members there...
Here's the text I shared with cousins that day - 
"Okay. I have to share this with you...
I have a sweet memory of your dad introducing me to Krispy kreme donuts when I was around 8 yrs old and visiting w y'all for a few days...
So this morning I'd hoped to get a photo of the two of us w donuts in our hands... 
for my scrapbook, you know.
But before I could get one out of the box he was taking his last bite!! LOL...
I guess we both still love them. Ha."
We both thought we'd have another chance to make that picture happen...
Uncle Elton was the one person I remember speaking BOLDLY to me when I was exploring a religion that didn't have a relationship with Christ at its core. 
That short conversation has stuck with me for more than 40 years now...
He cared enough to make sure that conversation happened
[with specific knowledge to share...]
 The last time we were together and talking about everything: family, work, vacation, traveling, retirement plans,ETC. he casually reached out and tucked my hair from my eyes... 
making me feel like I was eight years old again. 
You see, he had the ability to make everyone feel like they were one of his favorites
 - much like my mama and his wife, my sweet Aunt Carol. 
He will truly be missed by so many who knew him and loved him...
Join me in lifting my family up in your prayers, won't you?

No comments: