Friday, August 25, 2017

Okay guys –

[and gals – ha] 
Here’s the deal – there’s just two of us in our home most days –
 so that means, WHEN I cook there’s usually some leftovers. 
I try and freeze some for another time, or I might take some for lunch… 
and I try to get creative about re-purposing it 
[yes, even food] into another meal.  
And that’s exactly what I do with leftover beans that Craig cooks in the instant pot – 
if I’ve not share his recipe, it’s based on this one here. 
SO, sooooooo good. 
But we usually have some left – 
which brings me to our version of re-fried beans.
You can use these in lots of in different ways 
– tostadas – burritos – 
NACHOS!!
Here we go – 
Using an immersion blender, blend up until there are only a few whole beans left.
It should look something like this - 
Add cumin [and other seasonings you might like] to your taste.
[I'm not much of an exact cook, am I?
Fry it up in some butter --
You can see that I've only used half of these leftovers -
Keep stirring over medium high heat until the beans change to a darker color  
and begin to dry out a bit as it reduces in size.
Meanwhile, spread tortilla chips -  onto a pan 
[This is an industrial pizza pan we got at a thrift store --I use it all the time!]
Put spoonfuls of beans on each chip -
Then add cheese - whatever kind you ilke [I used cheddar] 
and as much as your family prefers...
You wnt enough to cover it nicely though -
 Put under the broiler to melt cheese.
[Pay no attention to my 62 year old oven.]
Next add a few jalapenos - again, however much our family prefers.
[These are from a jar.]
Waa-la!  beautiful tray of nachos! 
Note: you could also make individual plates of thee and melt the cheese in the microwave for about a minute per plate... 
But I really like the crispiness of the chips after they've been in the oven.
Enjoy!

No comments: