Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Well, you should know by now

that we love good ole Southern Cooking -
Soul Food, if you will - 
It's what we grew up on...
 
So I'll share a bit about how to create this plate of deliciousness...  
Pinto Beans, cornbread, fried squash, and greens.
Yum.
 I'll share how I make it - but keep in mind there's no 'real' - as in 'written down' recipes.
The pinto beans are incredibly fast and easy in the 
instant pot [my new favorite cooking appliance!]
I do soak them overnight and then put them in the pot, add seasoning [southern style: bacon + salt / pepper; new orleans style: bay leaf + sausage and hot sauce; and Craig makes a delicious pot seasoned with a bit of chili powder] cover with water and set on ' beans for the pressure cooker - they're ready within thirty minutes. 
For the fried squash I slice the squash [zucchini and / or yellow squash] thinly into a pie plate and toss a few spoonfuls of [white] cornmeal mix [has flour in it -- look at the packaging] on top. Toss around until it's all covered then fry in a single layer of oil [in a pan] on the stove top. Drain on paper towels.
Greens - I usually just buy the Glory Brand in a can. Ha.
I've never made greens that I loved - 
But with the new pressure cooker, it just might happen.
And now to the cornbread.
I love my cornbread [is that terrible to admit?] 
It's taken me years to get to this point - but it's really very easy to do --
Put a stick of butter in the pan you plan to use  
[sometimes I use cast iron, but it's vintage pyrex more often these days]
and put in the oven while it preheats to 425* or 450* 
While the butter is melting I put  3 - 4 cups of [self-rising]  corn meal mix [again, LOOK at the packaging] in a mixing bowl, add a couple of eggs, and then stir enough milk so that it looks like cake batter - be sure to scrap the sides and bottom of the bowl [it's a little runny.] 
That's it. 
Pour it into the pan of melted butter [it will push the butter up the sides and around the top of the batter] and bake for 20 - 30 minutes until golden brown on top.  
Now - if you REALLY want to get Southern [ha] - put a chunk of your left over cornbread in a cup and pour milk over it [buttermilk or sweet milk - whichever you prefer.]
There's nothing that beats a good cold cup of cornbread and milk!
Enjoy!

No comments: