Wednesday, January 27, 2016

I revisited a favorite recipe

during Christmas... 
Pavlova
Here's what I did: 

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw a 3-inch circles on the parchment paper.

In a large bowl, beat 4 egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gradually add in 1 1/4 cups sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until thick and glossy. Gently fold in  1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 
and  2 teaspoons cornstarch. 
Spoon mixture inside the circles drawn on the parchment paper. Working from the center, spread mixture toward the outside edge, building edges slightly. 
This should leave a slight depression in the center.
 Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.


NOTE: I really should have done my tried and true recipe from years past and baked at 250* for an hour and then left them in the oven overnight....
Thy would have been white as clouds... instead of the slight brown color I got...
After a great suggestion from a sweet friend I made lemon curd with the leftover egg yolks.
OMGoodness, y'all. This was delicious.
Recipe here.
 We all served ourselves with the following toppings: lemon curd, [of course!!] sliced strawberries, sliced kiwi, and whipped cream [from a refrigerated can. ha.]  
I don't know why I let years go by without making this...
It used to be a staple that I would take to my family reunions each summer... in those days I made one big pavlova and spread cool whip in the center, 
then topped with sliced strawberries and fresh blueberries. 
Very summer-y - and refreshing and delicious! 
Let me know if you like it!

No comments: