Wednesday, January 28, 2015

My original plan for 2015

was to include a post each month with a recipe [new or old] that I've prepared at home --
Some of you really liked the little series back in the summer [Farmer's Market Meals] so I thought I'd continue on, figuring I could SURELY cook at least once each month - ha.
 But here's the deal - this week we had the opportunity to be guests at the 'soft opening' of Bravo Cucina Italiana - opening the 29th. It was so delicious I just have to share with you - and honestly when they sent the invite, they had no idea that I had a blog or anything like that -
 We started the evening with a manager chosen appetizer - Artichoke & Spinach Formaggio with Parmesan Flatbread [much like the cracker bread you get at Brio in Birmingham.] 
It was wonderful! 
We also had bread and dipping oil prior to this - but I love those parmesan flatbreads and 
kept some to eat throughout my meal --
 Then we were on to salads - Craig chose the Insalata Roma: Mixed greens, kale, cucumbers [he asked them to hold these, no problem] feta, grape tomatoes, garbabzo beans, croutons, and avocado with lemon garlic vinaigrette. 
I'm not a fan of kale - but this was delicious. That dressing was so perfect with it - he ate it all!
I had the Insalata Della Casa: chopped greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, bacon, crispy pasta with Parmesan dressing. 
Honestly, it was little too much like slaw for me - 
lots [and lots] of dressing.
[Sorry for the blurry photos - we were ready to dig in!]
Next was our entrees - Craig chose the Sausage Tortelloni: Cheese-filled tortelloni, sweet Italian sausage, pancetta, tomato sauce, crushed red pepper, mozzarella and basil.
He loved it - just the right amount of spiciness.
 And I chose Chicken Scaloppini: sauteed chicken, roasted portobello mushrooms, Provolone, lemon caper butter sauce, feta, tomatoes, and herb linguine. It was delish. 
Very rich and lemony - impossible to eat it all... 
and, dare I say it? 
- a little too much cheese...
 Lastly, we were given two desserts, chosen by our waiter. We had the raspberry cheesecake and chocolate truffle with toasted pecans. 
Both were excellent.
Both  came in little cups [see above - photo off the internet] Honestly, if we'd only had the cheesecake I would have been HAPPY - but the chocolate - oh my - it was so - so good 
- like a little pot of chocolate cream.
Final fact: it was wonderful.
We couldn't eat it all. 
And we weren't the only ones carrying out leftovers
[which I can say is just as good the next day for lunch -]
Y'all know we love Italian - and we'd say this is much like Brio in Birmingham [which makes sense since I've learned they are owned by the same group [- click here] - a little more upscale than Maggiano's, and definitely a step above Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill.
We'll be back!

No comments: