Friday, May 9, 2014

I painted this

in my Mama's hospital room the last evening we were together. 
I sat there painting and listening to her rest...
barely chatting because she was so very tired...
Never realizing this would be the last chance I would have to talk with her...
But somehow, I think she knew...
and, truly, I think I knew it too 
when she called and ask me to come stay the night with her...
but I didn't want to really accept it...
The words were added a few weeks later and 
I know if she had the chance she would wish this for us - 
I Wish You Enough
I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright 
no matter how grey the day may appear.

I wish you enough rain
to appreciate the sun even more.

I wish you enough happiness
 to keep your spirit alive and everlasting.

I wish you enough pain so that even the 
smallest of joys in life may appear bigger.

I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.

I wish you enough loss 
to appreciate all that you possess...
and

I wish you enough hellos 
to get you through the final good-bye.

(Author unknown)
 But, really - 
I know 
that THIS is one of the many little nuggets of wisdom 
she wanted to share with us -
A prose poem that is said to be 
written in 1927 by American writer Max Ehrmann. 
How blessed are we to have it in her own handwriting?


It's a treasure -
that's for sure -
She completed this little book I gave her over ten years ago --
 And I'm sure she wrote this poem from memory...
So sweet --
Oh, how I miss her...
I think I might wear a peach rose in her honor - 
[Our Mama always refused 
to wear a white / red rose for Mother's Day - 
and chose peach instead - 
that's just the sort of gal she was - lol] 

No comments: