Friday, January 3, 2014

Christmas Re-Cap --> --> -->

 So here's how it 'went down' as our 
local newscasters are wont to say...
[and THAT drives me cRaZy by the way!]
I took a couple of days off before Christmas to do a little baking and prep for our Christmas Eve Dinner with our little family – 
 
We enjoyed an ‘open house’ full of Christmas Goodies with some friends on the 23rd- lots of fun there too!
[Soo hard to believe that all of our boys are all grown up!]
And then I woke up Christmas Eve with the most overwhelming sense of sadness – that longing for something I cannot have here on earth again –
 
But I was DETERMINED that I did not want my grieving to overshadow our time together… so I took a little walk around our big back yard and cried it out…
 Then I put on my [big girl] long johns and headed out to 
our Christmas Eve Service. 
I SO ENJOY the fireworks to ‘Joy to the World’ 
to celebrate our savior’s birth –
 LOVED that all the family was there with me.
That was such a very, very special gift to me…
Then we came home and had a delicious meal of berried treasure salad [re-created from a favorite of Craig’s while we were in California,] prime rib [cooked in rock salt,] stuffed chicken breasts, roasted carrots and parsnips, brussell sprouts with bacon, Paula Dean’s mashed potatoes, and crème brule’ 
 
[that the guys enjoyed brule’ing – ha.]
After that we opened gifts – so fun!
Christmas Day we went over to The Shoals and had lunch with Craig’s mother – always so good to have un-hurried time to just visit!
That evening Craig, Matt, and I enjoyed what is becoming our traditional Christmas Night Movie Outing – we saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.
Loved it.

Beautifully filmed.
Great Message.

[Then it was back-to-work for me... Ha.]
Saturday we Christmas-ed again 
with extended family on Craig’s side up in Nashville –
As always, it’s just good to be together and catch up with each other. 
We sure missed those who couldn’t be with us!
 [Although, I plan to 'shop' one into this gr-kids photo – ha.]
Then Sunday we headed down to Birmingham 
to be with my extended family. [Missed those who couldn't be with us --]
What a bittersweet time it was.
 But it was oh-so-good to JUST BE with my sweet brother and sister. 
Sometimes I just need to hear their voices - LOVE that we can do 
conference calling now and then!
  
 [And we did okay - love this photo of us 
from late October that I found on Craig's phone...]
 As a special treat, one of our mama’s sisters stopped by to 
say hello as she was traveling through…
 
Craig and I stayed the evening and enjoyed a little [man-made] snow and fun with MK at the Zoo Light Safari.
 
Later in the week we met friends for our [mostly] traditional  
New Year’s Eve dinner 
at Sho Gun. Always good.
[Again, missed those who couldn’t make it!]
We declared tonight the "last holiday meal" 
since Matt will be heading 'home' tomorrow - 
it's been a good holiday season for us.
Now it's down with the décor and off to a new year… 
Hope yours is starting out great.

No comments: