- So, the first day of winter has come and gone – meaning the days are [[really]] getting longer - yay. I do miss those ‘winter soup nights’ that always started on the first day of winter and went through the first day of spring [monthly get-togethers, at our house, with warm soup and fellowship.] Maybe we can do that again in a couple of years [next year we should be attending a graduation so I know I won’t be thinking about soup – lol –]
- And then we were Christmas-ing for the rest of the week – had our family dinner and gift giving on Thursday evening with Matt, Drew and his sweet Haley – SO NICE to just be together. LOVE family time and it’s far too short these days – [We had sautéed shrimp, salt-crusted prime rib, crash potatoes and roasted veggies with salad and rolls. – I’ll get recipes up there after the first of the year – promise!]
- Then on Friday we drove up to Tennessee for Craig’s family Christmas – I’ll admit, I was a little skeptical of how Christmas might play out in a hotel room – but we had a huge room and brought in chairs from the other rooms so it was just like sitting in a family den and being all together. We took our little rustic tree [designed for a mountain Christmas] and goodies that included snowflake cupcakes and a crockpot with meatballs, and everyone brought more goodies to share as we enjoyed being together and opening gifts [- they wanted to do something different since this was their first Christmas without Daddy – and while he was on everyone’s minds, I think we had a very good gathering afterall.]
- Saturday we shopped a little at Providence and Opry Mills [yes! THREE stores are open now -] and then headed out to the Opryland Hotel – which is ALWAYS gorgeously decorated for Christmas – Love that they make no excuses for the reason for celebrating Christmas with this HUGE nativity scene in the entrance to the hotel. And I LOVE these huge poinsettias made of lights – they’ve been there for as long as we’ve been going to Opryland to see the Christmas lights – OMGoodness – 27 -28 years now?!?
- That evening Craig and I decided at the last minute to run down to a local church for their Christmas Eve Service - a lovely little church with traditions unfamiliar to us – communion was done by tearing off a bit of bread and dipping it in a communal cup of wine. Still, it was very nice to be out at midnight and recognize our Savoir at the beginning of His Day –
- Christmas Day we headed over to attend church with my sister and her family and enjoyed singing familiar tunes and joined in communion in the good ‘ole Baptist way – lol. Love what their preacher said about God loving us SO MUCH that He would squeeze into an earthly body just to show us his love – by giving the ultimate sacrifice. [AND – it was a treat to hear our nephew playing drums – what a great job!!]
- Then it was home to have some of that left-over prime rib with freshly made garlic mashed potatoes – yum – and to unpack the car so we can do it all again next weekend – lol [well, we’ll only be gone one day next weekend to celebrate with my family, and we have a full week of work and activities between now and then -]
- We’ve also had a house full of kids a couple of nights this week – and we love that actually – SO GLAD they helped us finish off the sweets we had made!! So glad the youngest and his friends still feel comfortable hanging at our house -
- And yesterday Craig was up early to go duck hunting [he brought some home to cook – eek!] and I just had a lazy day of catching up with friends on the internet and television watching and knitting – getting ready for the new year -
- – do y’all enjoy opening a new calendar as much as I do?
'round the house (100) Angst (2) art journal (51) Be Present (19) Be Real (15) Blessed (28) Book Shelf (6) Charlie Brown Lessons (10) Choice (4) Cookie of the Month (11) Corrie Ten Boom Quotes (12) creativity (306) Devotionals on Creativity (10) EOYOL (26) Everyday Goodness (322) faith based pages (145) Favorite Photo on Friday (130) He Speaks to Me (73) heirlooms (15) Library of Memories (6) Lottie Scotty (23) magic (13) mixed media (50) Monday Musings (167) My studio (4) Once a Month [old stuff] Giveaway (59) One Little Word (68) Project Eighteen; (1) recipes (72) right here right now (37) scrapbook (126) stitches (14) stories to tell (6) Ten on Tuesday (52) Ten on Tuesday 2011 (50)