Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

I have so many things to be thankful for - this year and always. I'll post photos from the day later on... until then, take a look back to last year's faith based pages layout using a favorite photo of mine - some of my cousins gathered around the table with my aunt - so sweet!

This year we had my family here at our house [last weekend] and cooked FISH - don't you think the Pilgrims had their fair share of fish at the first Thanksgiving? It was yummy since Craig always does such an excellent job frying it up! And we'll be with Craig's family on Saturday so we had our own little family here today.

I prepared everything last night while the kids had friends over to play cards and games - and then just baked and heated it all up this morning. We had turkey, Aunt Betty's Dressing [recipe follows], green bean casserole, veg-all casserole, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce [of course!], rolls, and pumpkin roll for dessert.
It was nice to gather around the table to share... so here are some photos:

goofing off while I set-up the camera-
Ready to dig in -

gathered 'round the table

And the last photo is of my absolute LAST HARVEST - yes! I met my goal and picked a ripe tomato on Thanksgiving Day! Yay! After lunch I went out and cleaned the garden out... now I'm pondering the possibility of planting turnip greens ...
Hope you all had a blessed and wonderful Thanksgiving Day as well!

And now to Aunt Betty's Dressing
Prepare ahead of time:
3 boiled eggs
1 pan of cornbread
-------------------------------
Cook: 1 lb. sausage [mild] - crumble as it cooks
Add: 1 large onion, chopped
a couple of stalks celery, chopped [or a couple of teaspoons celery seed
Cook until all is tender and remove from heat -
Add: 1 quart chicken broth
1 package chicken flavored stove top stuffing
crumbled cornbread
chopped boiled eggs
Add more chicken broth if needed to make moist dressing.
Put into rectangle pan and bake at 350* until warm.
Enjoy!
Note: boiled chicken can be added before baking...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your stuffing/dressing recipe is similar to Tyler Florence's recipe and I cook mine in large pumpkin in the oven. My kids love it that way. Too bad there was a pumpkin shortage.

Kim G.