Monday, March 9, 2009

Born to Be Wild - Faithbook Class

2 – “Naked with Candy” p. 69 –

Be Uninhibited and Savor Sweet Opportunities!

This is a free faithbook class based on the book,

Born to be Wild [rediscover the freedom of fun] by Jill Baughan.

Each week I will share a little from one chapter of the book
[for the ENTIRE reading, you'll need to have the book...]
We'd love to have you join in, post a link to your work in our comments, and the top three participants will get a prize. [Names will be drawn in the event of a tie.]

In the book Jill writes, "

Beth Levine tells this story about her little boy, “Our son decided that not only was underwear objectionable, the rest of his clothes were as well. I found him running around the house stark naked only pausing long enough to grab a treat from the kitchen table. ‘Mamma!” he cried with soul soaring glee, ‘I’m naked with CANDY!’ – What more can we ask from life? She asked her husband, ‘I feel like being naked with candy myself.” [– Beth Levine, “Mr. Wonderful” Woman’s Day February 18th, 1997, p 144] It sounds tempting and no wonder. It’s the freedom that we all long for: to be completely ourselves – no pretense, no masks, nobody to impress, and nothing to hide. This liberating ‘naked’ state of mind coupled with candy [the act of play itself] – having something available that is sweet and delightful, something that feeds us and exists for no other reason than to bring pleasure – this is the essence of play. I’ve often wondered what it is about adulthood that eats away at our ability to cut loose and have some fun… But I know when I allow myself to be unself-conscious and willing to latch onto a sweet moment, life is infinitely more fun. And I believe this is what Paul had in mind when he urged the Philippians to

“Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean REVEL in Him! [

Philippians 4:4 The Message].

Take intense satisfaction in Him. Because whatever else is happening in your life, I feel certain there is candy on your kitchen table right now, today – something sweet for you to celebrate, something begging to be reveled in. Feel the freedom [even with your clothes on,] grab it, and run.

Try This: Today, right now, what can you celebrate in your life? Start your celebrating by thanking God.

Scrap Prompt [from Judy]: Use the sketch to complete a layout about how you celebrate God or about something sweet in your life that you can celebrate, right now.

Yahoo Group - [I'll post the link to the right on the blog side bar.] This group is set up for 'student' use - it's not a requirement and class sessions will not be posted there [they are on the blog.] The yahoo group will be loosely moderated and I hope to check in at least a couple of times weekly. Comments on the group should be limited to the class and faith booking in general. Note: Yahoo ph oto albums are now set up so that commetns may be shared under each photo [now, THAT'S sweet...]Would love to see more in-depth discussion of Jill's book. [Go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FaithBasedPagesClasses/ ]
Let me know if there are other questions about how the class will work - I'm new with this 'on-line' class thing, willing to adapt as needed, and seeking the Lord's guidance as I share ways to put our faith on our pages...please feel free to share your comments and ideas!

No comments: