A little late with the posting - but here's the first cookie of the month for 2009 [I plan to do a little 8x8 scrap / recipe book with each of these...]:
[From Better Homes and Gardens Cookies for Christmas, 1985]
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
[okay, I substitute cocoa and butter for the unsweetened chocolate]
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon [ground]
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon instant coffee crystals
1 teaspoon water
1 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces
* in heavy saucepan melt unsweetened chocolate; cool slightly. Meanwhile, stir together flour and cinnamon, set aside.
* In large mixer beat shortening and butter until softened. Add sugars and beat until fluffy. Stir coffee crystals into water to dissolve. Add coffee mixture, melted chocolate, and egg to butter mixture. Beat well.
* Add flour mixture and beat until well mixed. Cover and chill about one hour. Shape into two 7 inch rolls, wrap and chill for six hours [over night.]
* Pre-heat oven to 350*. Slice dough into 1/4 slices and place on un greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 -12 minutes until edges are firm and lightly browned. remove and cool.
* Melt chocolate carefully in the microwave [50% power for 30 -40 seconds at a time.] Stir well. spread chocolate mixture on one half of each cookie. Place n wax paper to complete cooling until chocolate is set.
These have always been a favorite at our house around Christmas time - but somehow were left out this year [maybe the 60 dozen snicker doodles took their place...]
'round the house (106) Angst (2) art journal (59) Be Present (19) Be Real (15) Blessed (28) Book Shelf (14) Charlie Brown Lessons (10) Choice (4) Cookie of the Month (11) Corrie Ten Boom Quotes (12) creativity (309) Devotionals on Creativity (10) EOYOL (26) Everyday Goodness (327) faith based pages (150) Favorite Photo on Friday (135) He Speaks to Me (74) heirlooms (15) Library of Memories (6) Lottie Scotty (27) magic (13) mixed media (54) Monday Musings (176) My studio (4) Once a Month [old stuff] Giveaway (59) One Little Word (73) Project Eighteen; (1) recipes (76) right here right now (47) scrapbook (128) stitches (14) stories to tell (6) Ten on Tuesday (52) Ten on Tuesday 2011 (50)