Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Lottie Scotty 009-2017

Curtains were a big concern for me - 
I wanted them to be light and airy- but I also knew I wanted privacy too. 
I love that Lottie has windows all the way across both the front and back!
I'd seen where some people had used children's sheets in adorable fabrics  so I searched and searched for something that would go with our cushion fabrics...
 And while, I'm not afraid to mix some patterns together, I just never found what I wanted - 
So I was THRILLED when I happened upon these at Big Lots! And they were on sale too!  
[Side Note - I used the existing curtain rods / hangers that Lottie had when we bought her -
I just spray painted all that gold white - ]
I got the 84" panels so that I would have enough fabric - 
First, I measured and cut them to the correct size and sewed the little pocket for the curtains rods across the tops of each panel -  
 Yep - that's washi tape to mark how wide my seam should be - ha -
 Lottie has windows of all shapes and sizes! 
Fortunately, she only needs curtains for the ends and lower side windows...
 I laid them out evenly so I could be sure they were all the same length
before "hemming"...
 I know it's crazy - but this really is the easiest way to hem this fabric - 
Just a quick pass of an open flame and it's all seals up nicely -
Easy Peasy.
[I think there's video of me doing it on FB] 
  Loving how the light filters through -- 
[And yes - original table - we're keeping the top 'as-is' for nowt -]
So the next thing was to figure out a way to add some privacy... I had all sorts of crazy ideas - I knew I didn't want the bulk of blinds... I considered rolling shades... I also considered just covering some cardboard panels and propping them in the windows when needed. 
Then Craig found these panels at Dirt Cheap [yes, it's a store -] so he brought a few home and we discussed how we could use them... velcro, etc. 
 For now, we've settled on hanging them on little screws that hold them securely to the window so almost no light can get in. They're easily removable and can be folded and put away when we don't need them.  This photo was taken right after we put them up - 
We won't have to take the curtains down to use them... and, in fact, you can hadly tell they're on the windows once the curtans  are up - 
BONUS -
The black-out lining is white on the back so it's a nice clean look on the outside too.
I love how we bounce ideas off of each other until we come up with a good solution for us.

No comments: