Tuesday, December 8, 2015

I tend to use the same decorations for Christmas

year after year... only buying a little something new that catches my fancy -- 
But it somehow never goes out the same... so it looks different each year 
and I kind of love that...
So welcome to our home... 
You may remember that I had that gorgeous white tree these past two years since my mother passed on -- but this year I thought it was time to go back to our own traditions - 
I got this little 'pull-up' tree a few years ago at Lowes - it's much lighter and so much easier to put up than the giant Martha Stewart we still have it the attic -- 
The tree skirt is made from an old quilt Craig's great grand mother made... 
It was wrapped around a TV that was given to us when we were first married  - with the thought that it would be thrown away after the move... but I couldn't bear to do it - 
It's thread bare but beautiful.
 
I moved the little suitcase table to our foyer, which isn't huge - but I think we can make it work...it has the church sign [from Mary and Martha,] and a collection of nativities - including the newest from my sweet other-in-law that lights up! 
 
The chalkboard has a paper banner and mirror [Be Merry] on it, the bannister has one of my mother's door decorations, and the burlap covered chair has a new pillow - 
Merry Christmas Y'all.
 
The little dresser inside the dining area has one of our newest thrift purchases - the 1941 typewriter, as well as a hand formed Nativity I got a few years back, the gold jingle bell wreath and lantern full of ornaments...
The drop-leaf table on the other side of our dining table  has another of Craig's favorite thrift store finds - a 1934 radio, as well as a vintage copy of White Christmas by The Mormon Tabernacle Choir. The black frame holds my square burlap wreath with one big red ornament and garland on top...and my favorite white tulips sit to the side...
 
The fireplace mantle always spreads out to the furniture on each side... 
I'll admit that i still have a couple of new stocking holders to spruce up a bit - 
but other than that it's complete... 
The stockings are mostly hand knitted by my mother-in-law, 
with a couple of them made by me...
The little chair to the right was the one my Mama M used when she did her washing with her wringer washing machine [it held the tub of clean clothes] - it has a basket with past Daily December Albums in it...
And to the left is one of the trees we made in 2012 - we made ours from some old floor boards we got at the Habitat Store... I put some paper and paint on it and we drape patios [half a string] around it - I love it still....
 
To the left of the mantle are some 'mercury' glass trees, the stained glass window and bronze deer we bought in New Orleans last month and a photo of the boys with Santa. 
The clock belonged to Craig's gr-daddy and was built the year PawPaw was born...
And to the right is an old window that reminds me of my Mama M's porch. as well as  a set of my vintage angels form the early 60's. a NOEL sign [from target, last year,] and another photo fo the boys, with Santa - probably the only two times they ever went to see him - lol...
  And I added just a bit of fun to the kitchen too witht he Disney Plates over the stove... and oh, look - the white rabbit is still there too.
[We're all mad here, you know - ha]...
I thought I had some photos of the porch - but I'll have to add those a bit later - 
Can't wait to see what you're doing for the season around your home!

No comments: