Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Farmer's Market Meals! Who's in?

I do love fresh veggies!
But I have to be honest and say I've not been a regular down at my local farmer's market - 
I've been traveling a bit too much!
[photo cred: their facebook page, link above -]
- I love it in the spring because not only do they have fresh veggies 
[sometime washed, cut, and ready to cook!] 
- but they also have beautiful spring flowers for the porch / deck /flowerbed. 
So Pretty! 
But my favorite time to visit this market is in the fall 
when there are rows and rows of colorful pumpkins and squash to choose from - 
So beautiful!
But I digress... 
Here's a little meal that I cooked up this week from 
locally grown new potatoes and tomatoes 
[and basil from my own garden!]
I cooked the potatoes in the microwave then cut in half, scooped out the shell and combined it with a little cheese, onion [I usually use dehydrated - it's just easier that way -], and chopped bacon [again, we buy pre-cooked bacon - less trouble - ha] 
and maybe, a teaspoon of mayo [BLUE PLATE] 
then scooped it back in the shells and broiled until brown. Yum.
For the caprese' salad I loosely layered sliced tomatoes, sliced mozzarella 
and broiled until the cheese was melty - 
Then snipped fresh basil over the top and added salt and pepper. Double yum.
 
I also wanted to share a couple of other [relatively] healthy meals 
that I enjoy from time to time -  
This is the spinach shrimp salad from AppleBees 
[with French  Onion Soup - maybe not so very healthy -] 
We've actually made this salad at home - and it's pretty simple
 - spinach + almonds + bacon + grilled shrimp and and an Asian dressing. DELISH.
[Note - we leave out the onions - AppleBees serves it with tiny chopped up raw onions - ]
And then lastly, my all time favorite quick salad  -
The Southwest [grilled] salad from MickeyDs.
LOVE IT.
- It's easy to replicate at home too - 
Mixed greens + corn/ black bean/ pepper mixture 
+ just a few tortillas strips + grilled chicken and a little lime dressing.
Double Delish.
[That last photo is from a little instagram selfie challenge 
I'm participating it his month  - ha]
So, what are you doing to eat fresh this summer? 
I'd love to hear about some of your favorite summer meals!

No comments: