Monday, April 2, 2012

Well - the week started

out cRaZy busy with so many deadlines and things to do at work. Plus – now that I’m going into the mini-pause I have PMS every few months - so I was a TOTAL grouch. [I seriously have renewed respect for those of you who have dealt with this for 20 – 30 years! Wow! ] But you know what? I got it DONE. I had to rearrange a few less important things on my work calendar – but I sure didn’t want work stuff hanging over me while I went on retreat.
And that’s exactly what I did Thursday – Saturday. [It lasted through Sunday, but I’
ve learned that in my old age - my work week is sooo much easier if I have a day of rest prior to it beginning.
Thursday morning I had a leisurely breakfast with Craig before doing a little shopping at Khol’s – love it. Got a skirt, a scarf, a pair of furry house booties, and a t-shirt – all for about $22 – fun! Then I headed to Guntersville and parked at one end of town and walked through all the little shops I pass by and never have time to stop in to look – and there’s a LOT of goodies in Guntersville, let me tell you. Especially at Bakers on Main ! Not only is the food delish [is it really Covingtons, y’all?] But they also have little consignment booths where people sell the cutest [and nicest!] new and vintage stuff!
Here’s a favorite find:
A 1916 issue of the Ladies Home Journal; there’s some great stuff in there!! I plan to scan it and use it in art and scrapbooking. Love. It. I also found a boiled wool sweater [nabby] in olive green at a consignment shop, and a covered pyrex casserole dish in that cute daisy green pattern. But mostly it was nice to look through things at a nice leisurely pace.
Then I headed up to Grand Oak Retreat [much thanks to Cheryl for this awesome photo!]
And it was wonderful. I had no expectations for the weekend – I took a lot [of crafty goodness] to work on – and surprisingly, I got a lot done. I sorted all of my heritage pages into page protectors and put them in an album [100 pages of them!] I also sorted through three folders of ‘stuff’ [ideas/ quotes/ etc.] that intrigued me or that I might use on a page or art one day – and wheedled it down to one folder – yay, completed my spark junk journal – with photos from the event – love it; punched circles from an old dictionary and covered a lampshade with it, [Again - thanks to Cheryl for the photo - I'll share more about the how-to's soon,] put the pen down to a couple of paintings that needed that finshing touch, worked on a class I’m teaching in April, and did 7 scrapbook pages. Wheeeee…..
I also stayed up waaaaay past my Cinderel
la bedtime, visited with friends new and old, [that's me with Bobbi and Cheryl at our scrap space] enjoyed time by the fire out on the porch, watched The Help again in the theater room, ate delicious home-cooked meals [with no prep or clean up from us,] took a couple of naps, saw sunrise from our porch overlooking the lake, and just generally had a very relaxed and wonderful retreat at Grand Oak. Check them out – they have the little extras that make it great.

And now it’s back to the real world – it's dollar sushi night tonight! Hope y’all have a good week as we prepare to celebrate our Risen Savior!

No comments: