Friday, December 4, 2009

Encyclopedia of Your Ordinary Life - A

EDIT: WOW and DOUBLE WOW! The last letter of my EOYOL album
- and kind of neat that the year ends with "A" and AUburn.
Keep in mind this album was completed in 2007
- and here we are in 2009 looking forward to Drew graduating from AU in two weeks!
We're so very proud of him!

A few years ago I had the opportunity to complete this extraordinary scrapbook album designed by CathyZ and based on the book, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Rosenthal. While I still haven't read the book, I love the concept of this album - a random sampling of those ordinary facts about your life [my life.] The homework involves keeping a list, A to Z, of random memories for several weeks and then gathering photos [or not] to support these memories. Love it. The album is really very simple [a la Cathy Z] and easy to put together with only two square photos per page
and two to four 'definitions.' Have I said I love this album? And I want to share some of my life with you so I've committed to do just that in 2009 [keep in mind this was completed during the summer of 2007.] I'm going backwards and today I present: A

ARTIST

Could I be? I love paper products, paint, photography, and all things crafty. And I enjoy pulling it all together to create a little joy in life. I took art lessons very briefly as a child [so glad to give up piano lessons] and I really enjoyed it. I’m not sure why I didn’t continue. Then I took a basic art class in college and ended up dropping it because I was so confused by the lingo the teacher used. There are times I wish I’d stayed with it and learned some basic design concepts, so I’ve enjoyed learning about and applying these techniques to my scrapbook layouts. I think I might be artsy, but an ARTIST, I’m not so sure…

AUBURN

The University that both our boys plan to attend [Drew as a transfer student in the Fall of ’07, and Matt as a freshman in the Fall of ’08.] Auburn is located in South Alabama and is about 3 ½ hours from our home. They have a wonderful engineering school that both boys and their friends are interested in attending. So happy we secured an apartment directly across the street! This is where my money, but more importantly, MY HEART , will be for the next five or six years. …War Eagle!

AESOP’S FABLES

Stories told by Aesop, a cleaver Greek slave who made animals talk and act like human beings, “to point a moral without hurting anybody’s feelings.” This was one of our favorite books when we were young. On hot summer days we would take it to the side porch and Lorna would ‘direct’ us as we acted out the different stories. Favorites were: “Country Mouse – City Mouse” [Crusts eaten in peace are better than cake eaten in fear,] and “The Eagle and the Crow” [Know yourself! Do not undertake more than you are able.]


No comments: